Monday, July 28, 2008

Gutierrez 11



It's crazy how time has flown. My cousins came over from the Philippines. We haven't seen each other in 24 years. When my brother and I left, Michael Jackson was popular and still black. New Wave music, parachute pants, Madonna wannabes!! Since then we've grown older, got married and had our own children.

Finally they have the chance to start life here in the US. I can't help but to be excited for them. But there's a sense of sadness, that they will face a lot of hardships having to adapt to a myriad of differences between the two cultures. It was difficult us young tweens back in 1984, but at 40, I would be beyond scared. I admire them. To come to this country as an adult, start over, learn to speak our slang, our work ethic, provide for their children, and drive on California freeways! However, we're resilient and persistent. They will do well, just like all the other immigrants that have made it to this country, hoping and working for a better life.



1 comment:

Jess said...

Sis,

Great to see everyone. Sorry I couldn't be here for the reunion, but it's great to see everyone is doing well. We're still planning on heading down for a fight, so we'll keep you updated. Give everyone our love.

Brother Wong and the Liwanags (sounds like a band)