Thursday, March 12, 2009

National Marrow Donor Program

One day post-op. Just underwent donating my bone marrow to a 39 year old man. I was sitting at breakfast with new NMDP shirt and the server's curiosity led to a conversation as to what the process of donating entails. I tried to keep in under wraps for a while, but I think people need to hear what it truly means.

It started when I was in the Navy, over 10 years ago. I'm not sure if it was a picnic or a blood drive, but they asked if I wanted to be in the program. So I donated a little blood sample, now it's a simple swab (like in CSI), which contains my DNA goes to a database. My number was called in January. They found me through, even after my name change, relocating to 3 different states. Like bloodhounds, they called my mom, sent me an email, a letter, a message on MySpace!! Once initial contact is made, everything is up to me.

I contacted they're initial coordinator. I had to fill out a brief History and Physical document. Then bloodwork was ordered through the local lab. Right now I'm just a potential. The results are reviewed by the doctor and they make the selection who's the best match. If you're the Chosen ONE. You get a letter, then they contact you if you're still interested. If you are, you get your information packet, along with consent forms. Then you schedule your physical and a collection date.

The physical is the pin cushion stage. You give more blood samples to check you for infectious cooties, then you donate your own blood which will be transfused back to you during the operation. Your chest x-ray and EKG is done as well. You meet with the clinical coordinator and the surgeon and they'll explain the procedure. This is your last chance to back out. After this point, if you agree, the recipient will undergo chemo-therapy to kill their own bone marrow. Which means he will die if you change your mind.

Collection day is your typical pre-op, you speak to the doctors and address any concerns you may have. They give you the good "Stuff" and you take a nap. During your nap, you're intubated under general anesthesia. Your on you stomach, then they start "Mining for Marrow". The amount they take is what YOU can safely give. Since I am big boned, I gave about 1 liter (size of a big Dasani bottle)- This is where I'm flexing my big guns. Then you wake up in recovery room, still HIGHHHH! Then they take you to your hospital bed for a few hours of observation. So you watch TV, order a light meal, walk around, then your released with some more good "stuff" and iron pills. The pills you take for a week, since your basically anemic. You're body WILL make more Marrow, in about 30 days. Take the Happy Pills when you start to feel pain. I was expecting more pain, but it's actually not too bad. I went for a walk and shopping afterwards. But you do get sore when you wake up the next day.

There are benefits. NO, you don't get money. But they put you up in a NICE hotel, provide driver service to where you need to go, and your food is paid for. The collection dates I was able to bring my family so they got to have a nice vacation.

The most important benefit is the TIME you give the recipient. Mine was an adult, but most are children. You give them a second chance. When they go through the NMDP, their relatives are not a match. They're looking for a needle in a haystack for that match. Unfortunately there are more recipients than donors. But if it succeeds, they can be healthy and have a family and children (like my brother's brother-in-law, Marty). We can never know for how much longer they will live but even if it's for a little bit, it's more than what they would've had without it. I don't believe in karma. I believe in God, and when he puts something in front of you it's for a reason. I believe I am my brother's keeper. So if you get that tug in your heart and I planted a seed in your thoughts, check out NMDP's website (www.marrow.org). They are a non-profit organization that works with other Donor Programs worldwide. You never know, you may be a match for a child in a different part of the world. You can be that difference in his/her life.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow! You're awesome! And you did get me thinking...so, do you have to be on pain meds post-surgery? Cuz that would be my drawback since I'm allergic to EVERYTHING! Hmmm...I'll be praying about this one. Thank you for sharing your experience...and I think I may just pass your post along.

Candy Woo said...

I congratulate you on that good deed. I envy you :) I wanted to donate blood even when I was in college. I just couldn't because I'm under weight so I can't do any volunteer donations of my body parts. I hope to read more posts from you and I looking forward to see you, yer husband, Jason, and my niece Etienne real soon :)